As some of you may know, I recently went through Capilano University's Commercial Animation program and trained to become an animator. However, despite my qualification, I have decided not to go into that field and in fact, I don't draw art for other people anymore unless I should so choose to. I just don't like it. When I draw something, I'm putting part of my soul onto paper. I can't sell my soul. It hurts, which is why I do not plan on going into the animation industry. Instead, I'm considering going back to where I started, the first dream I ever had, even before I became a writer and which for years, was my life's plan - until high school came and I chickened out because of terrible math skills.
My dream as a kid was to become a wildlife biologist and study wolves. As a kid, I likely watched more National Geographic and Kratt's Kreatures than I did cartoons, despite my aptitude for art and animation. I had and still do have, a passion for large predators. In late elementary school, I became a Chief Scout under the guidance of Scouter Dean Trumbley, a biologist who taught me pretty much everything I know about survival. Because of this man, this god of the forest, I learned to track, orienteer, avoid bears and I gained an understanding for survival in the wild. I loved it. I can rant for hours about how my life in 1st Pleasant Valley scout troop was perfection and to me because it was. It's very likely that those two years in 1st PV will always be the best ones of my life, just because I had such amazing people to work with. We were the perfect team. In fact, in Scouting competitions, my troop never lost. Whenever I put my uniform on, just in remembrance of those beautiful days, I feel like I'm touching something sacred or brushing a very happy past. I can still recall our decisive shout of "One, two, three - FIRST PV!" at Scoutvivor, which we won by a landslide. Running through the brush at Dean's heels enroute to the canoe lake and seeing Labrador Tea growing was one of the greatest things I have ever done. I felt powerful. I wonder if we all did.
In recollection, I think what killed my dream of being a biologist was simple stupid fear. I took an easy path, despite knowing somewhat that it probably wouldn't work. I remember sitting in animation, first day and wondering what the hell I was getting myself into. I have never told anyone this. It was not a waste though; I would not be the artist that I am now without animation. I grew in leaps and bounds creatively thanks to it and I will always be forever grateful to Capilano. It's the best animation school in North America. (And that's not an entirely bias opinion either.)
What was I afraid of? Well, here's the truth; the dead, true truth. I'm extremely stupid when it comes to math. Ask me to do a complicated math problem and I feel like I'm drowning in impossibly deep water with no surface in sight. Even if I do do the equation right, my answers often turn out to be wrong, no matter how hard I try. There has been many a math multiple choice quiz where I have simply picked at random the answers, because I had no idea how to actually come to them despite all training and assistance. Math leaves me helpless, foundering for salvation which is not there - and for some daft, definitely retarded reason, advanced math skills are required for a person to become a biologist.
I will never understand why educational systems insist so on having math in school lessons past Grade 8; since leaving high school, I have never done any math more complicated than basic elementary Grade 5 level. It is clear to me at least, that any math above Grade 8 is torturing children for no reason. I think math has its place. I think it should stay in the curriculum, but only as an elective past Grade 8. I will also never understand what math has to do with biology - science. Today, a marine biologist who had been a professor for 40 years at UBC came and told me that he has never used math at all in his studies. He said it was a shame I gave up my dream of becoming a biologist like him; he actually said I would have been good.
So, what I'm wondering now is if I should turn around and go back to my original dream. I probably can't make money off of my art and creative writing is still a hobby more than an occupation. Shall I dip my feet back into the water of Canada's educational system and get my proverbial paws wet again? At this point I don't know. The challenge of how I left math in 10th grade remains an obstacle as steep as Mt. Everest between me and this potential goal. I am stupid at math. It frustrates me and hurts me. I have rarely ever been happy doing math and have more often then not gotten extremely angry doing it, just because of my own helplessness. This is the truth, yet on the other hand, I know that my spirit is pointing me back to the wild. Wildlife biology may just be what I was always meant for, if the little girl watching National Geographic and the Chief Scout have anything to say about it. I excel at retaining knowledge pertaining to animals (my mother called my mind a 'sponge' for information) and as a scout, I was Patrol Leader, the alpha female of the pack. Biology, the science of living things, impregnates my writing. In the wilderness I have charisma. It is the only place where I ever stop being the bumbling omega kid with the mild speech impediment.
Shall I go back to where I started from? The road would be long and full of danger, both mathematical and otherwise. I might actually have to learn how to intelligently communicate, which I'm not altogether sure I can do. When I speak, words often get lost on the way to my mouth unless my brain is absolutely, passionately into what I am trying to say. I think far faster than I can speak.
I don't yet know what to do, but I can feel my future reforming itself. There is hope. I am only twenty and if there is anything I may be certain of in this life, is that I can hear the Call of the Wild. Perhaps not studying wolves, but any big predator, any interesting beast would do. I think I could do that. I think I could work to save the beasts that I love, which have been so prosecuted by our peculiar kind.
Just some thoughts.
Thank you for sharing this, Rosy. I hear you and I may be able to offer you some assistance in pursuing your dreams in the field of science. I'm a student myself, studying a degree in Natural Sciences here in the UK, but I spent my second year in Oregon as an international exchange student. My degree scheme is very flexible and I was able to pick and choose the modules that suited my skills and preferred area of study. Hence, I avoided some of the major maths and chemistry based work and focused more on the biology and ecology. I was made to take some compulsory maths units (and they were hellish) but once over and done with, you'll find they won't be necessary to remember. They do just make you learn it as a means of torture, I'm sure.
ReplyDeleteYou will need to be mathematically competent in biology. You'll need to have a handle on using programs like excel and using biological formulae to calculate various factors. Graphs, equations, calculations will all crop up, but they'll be in a context that make them easier to get along with. Don't let your fear of maths deter you from even trying to follow your dream. I didn't.
What's the funding situation like for you in Canada? Studying a degree here is very expensive, a second degree even moreso and with less governmental assistance throughout. However, I believe your experiences with the scouts and all your anatomical studying will greatly benefit you in claiming a place on a course. Canada has some of the most superb scientific institutes in the world and you're lucky to be so close to them.
My own university, Lancaster, offers an international exchange with numerous Canadian unis on the exact course I'm taking. Perhaps you should look it up online because I'm sure you'd love it or something very similar if you can find the course elsewhere.
Go for it! Shoot me an email if you read this and have any questions. I'm at wildcatrem @ gmail.com. It's Helaris from dA by the way. :)
<3 I knew you were Helaris :D I must get around to looking at your photos of the Isle of Skye sometime!
ReplyDeleteReading your comment makes me feel a little bit more hopeful, though I'm still a little worried because of how I quit math after Grade 10. (In Canada, to get into a lot of universities you must take it all the way up to the final grade, grade 12, which would mean catching up on at least two grades worth of arithmetic, which I'm sure you can guess I'm not enthused at all about.) Luckily, because I loved it, I took biology (as well as social studies courses) all the way up until Grade 12 and excelled at them. (Though bio did start getting challenging what with the great amount of memorization of specific names. I remember the material though.)
On the topic of funding, I got full funding for my animation studies in the form of student loans (which I have only just started repaying.) As far as I know, for full-time studies, Canadian students can receive a maximum of $10,000 in loan funding per year. My course, which had a total tuition of approximately $6,500 over the course of two years, was pretty cheap compared to most university courses. With about $1,500 for tuition each semester plus about $1,000 every month for survival, I was pretty well off in terms of living. (Though I still bought dirt cheap food and was a cheapskate as much as possible.) I was thinking that if I were to take a degree, I would have to also work at least part time to make end's meet. Funding for Canadian courses is probably quite similiar to UK ones.
Lancaster would probably be awesome, but money's a bitch and international courses cost a lot, so that probably wouldn't be an option for me unless there was extra funding for it. (Still, studying abroad? I can't tell you how appealing that is to me! I've never been outside of Canada, it would be wonderful to come to the UK!) I was thinking that if I did this, I would probably be trying to get into UBCO (the Okanagan branch of the University of British Columbia, which is apparently one of the best scientific institutes in North America - a lot of sciencey stuff is done there.) I would want UBCO because it's in Kelowna, which is close to my family and might make things easier this time around. Plus, I'm sick to tears of Vancouver! (Well not that bad, but I think it would at least be good to start this new 'voyage' in a place that's closer to home. Plus being so close to both fault lines and the ocean makes me paranoid lol.)
The fact that you were able to tailor fit your course studies really gives me some hope. I know it's inevitable that they'll try to force feed me math in some form, but at least I may try to have it in smaller doses. I am really seriously thinking that I should get back into science, not only because I missed it a LOT studying animation (there were times when I actually worried I was getting stupider because all I did was draw XD) but because I know I need to do something fulfilling with my life besides just draw pretty pictures and write good stories. (Well, I hope they're good anyway. I try.) If I was a biologist, I could possibly have a hand in helping the entire world by discovering knowledge about animals. Maybe I'd even get two seconds of fame on a National Geographic segment someday by discovering something amazing about some crazy animal. (It's unlikely, but still, I love documentaries and I don't think there's anything in the world I'd brag more about than that.) I'm sort of scared of telling my parents that I want to take more university schooling. They're already spooked 'cus I'm $15,000 in debt from my last run of uni! I believe that if I went into biology it would be a long road, probably plagued with some difficulty but then, nothing worth having was ever fought for. In animation I felt like a racehorse that was being run to death and because I have not gone into that industry, I almost feel like I'm not allowed to be proud that I survived it. If I became a biologist, well that's something I would be very proud of. Saying 'I'm an animator' carries some weight for sure, but to me, saying 'I'm a biologist for the Canadian government' or having a bio that says 'Rosanna currently works as a wildlife biologist for the Canadian government' carries a lot more weight. It's cooler. (I know, weird reason to note, but I seriously look up to scientists. They make me say 'wow!' and I always want to thank them for discovering what they have so that I can learn it.) This whole summer I've kind of felt like a broken down racehorse looking for another career, like the horse that didn't quite make it in the derby that nobody remembers. If I went to school again and found a more worthwhile calling like biology, well, I'd feel really great I think.
ReplyDeleteMaybe my animation diploma would help me get into a full university somehow? Probably not, but it sure would be nice.