Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Thoughts on Critique

Personally, the only way I accept critique is when it's live.

I know, there's a lot of feelings against artists who can't accept such things over the internet and I probably seem weak saying that I don't want critique here, or on any of my websites, but I don't. The problem is, is that when you're typing to me here (or there, or anywhere over the internet) a lot of important elements of our communication are lost. Think about it; when you type a comment to me, I cannot see, hear or smell you. I usually cannot tell if what you are saying is kindly or if it is being laced with cyanide, because I cannot see your body language or hear your tone or subconsciously smell the pheromones that you are exhibiting. A lot of information is lost over the internet in this fashion and while that may not mean much for you, it means a lot to me because I am a nervous person. Thus, if somebody intends to critique me, then they'd better be willing to physically sit down with me and they'd better be prepared to reassure me that their intent is good, or I won't even sit down. I only accept critique from people who will do this, who will sit down with me in person. If I wanted critique online, I would find a website for that, but as it is, this is just my notebook and my sketch blog is just my sketch blog. I know my faults and I am working to correct them. If you have a problem with my policy regarding critique, then remember Bambi and the bunny Thumper; "If you don't have nothin' nice to say, don't say nothin' at all!"

Thank you! :)


Just a note - there are exceptions. One is if I've known you for a long time and we're friendly, or if you're somebody I respect as a creative superior and you know that I respect you, but we're also friendly. Don't critique online if we're not friends. I don't take it from strangers unless you're giving it live.

No comments:

Post a Comment