Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Armegeddon

This was written when I graduated from high school. This was a bad time for me, as you might gather from the poem, because I had brainwashed myself to believe that graduation was the end of the world. Somehow, I fully expected the world to end when I graduated. Two years have past since that horrible day and now I look at this poem and shake my head, especially at the last few words. Was I really knowing then? No. I was as naive as ever, but I do believe I have learned a great deal since. I'm much more adult than I was back then, but I don't think that I'm adult even now and maybe I don't ever want to be one. Adults are bridled by society and pertain to its rules. I would much rather live and be a child for all my days and then suddenly become a wise elder. Elders have a lot of fun you know, from what I've observed. Those who are truly wise are children all their lives and never go through the silly 'adult' stage. As I've grown up, I have realized that adults really aren't that different from the kids they pretend to be smarter than. Are they? No. They just have more worldly experiance and this is one of the reasons I detest modern children's television, because it treats them like idiots. Children are not stupid. They are intelligent and can become even more so, if only we give them the opportunity. I grew up on a solid diet of National Geographic, Mr. Dressup, Sesame Street and Eye Witness - modern kids are growing up with crap like Dora the Explorer which treats them like monkeys. Please, treat kids like human beings - stop the inhumane censorship of their minds and allow them to grow! Make television for kids something where a carrot of knowledge is dangled above their heads, so that they ask their parents questions about what is going on. This, I believe is the best way for them to understand!

Any way, here's the poem. Keep in mind - poetry is not my forte!


It doesn’t feel like school’s over.
Some sad part still thinks it’ll begin again.
That next year, we’ll all be back.
Next September the world must continue as habit.

It doesn’t feel as if time has passed,
Though looking back, like at fossils, I see the changes;

In prose.
In art.
In style.
In myself.

There’s pictures, pieces and things that prove…
That from naïve to knowing,
I find myself adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment