Sunday, September 11, 2011

Little Kitten

Today a kitten follows me, where once there followed a cat,
Orange and plush of pelt with mitten paws, when all was once butter and fire;
He looks at me all curious, his bright copper eyes uncertain - once green-grey eyes beloved.
The kitten's small, his world just begun and where he came from I do not know...
...but maybe in him, there's a new start.
Once this kitten shied from me; now, time on, he sits beside me, small eyes glittering, winking. When once he was absorbed with Copernicus, he now wonders what that big awkward thing is more powerfully and slowly, oh slowly, he learns - I'm not a threat.
Sunny, oh Sunny, why did you have to go? I try to tell the kitten about you, but the words choke in my throat. I'm like a woman who has lost her lover and in truth I am, for nobody has every loved me so shamelessly as you have. The first time I saw the kitten it was before you died and when I saw his orange fur, I muttered 'oh shit;'
orange cats like you Sunny, cats plush of fur with fire in their pelt -
I think they will always protect my spirit, following in your paw steps.

Sunny, Sunny, I miss you! Please tell me; was this meant to be?
Not even two orange cats cat equal you. They will never equal you.
But maybe... something different?

Each day, the kitten grows more tame.



I don't claim to be a poet.

No comments:

Post a Comment