Friday, September 9, 2011
Some Gratification...
Today, watching an episode of Monster Quest concerning the hybridization of humans and chimpanzees, I got some gratification on my theory that we can't judge intelligence by how we humans see it. A scientist on the show commented that things which we think are smart, like being able to play the piano, would be meaningless in the middle of a place like a congo, while the intelligence of an animal such as a chimp would mean a lot there. It's good to know that I'm not the only person who questions our selfish assumption that we are the 'smartest' animals on Earth or that we are 'above' all other animals. This thought is sick and I would like to see it ended someday so that perhaps maybe we can move forwards in a way that supports all life on Earth, with respect.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Humanity has started removing prejudice when it comes to race, sex, orientation, disability, socioeconomic background etc etc, but we're still in the Dark Ages when it comes to speciesism. It irks me too. (That's an understatement).
ReplyDeleteI'd love it if we could end speciesism someday, or if we could at least see the beginning flare of its end in our lifetime. I don't think our species is going to survive (much less evolve) if we don't get rid of speciesism. Still, we can't be the only two people in the world right now who are gritting their teeth about this!
ReplyDelete